OWW FOR ARTISTS
Our vision for an art platform of the future
We believe that the current ‘wall-based’ gallery model is broken, it doesn’t work for audiences who find art boring and off-putting. It doesn’t work for museums and galleries either (they can often display only 5% of their collection with the rest hidden underground) and mainly doesn’t work for artists who struggle to ‘emerge’ and reach relevant people - true fans the art will resonate with. The only people the ‘art market’ does work for are dealers (even then the 1% of them) and mega-rich collections. We’re here to change that...
- No gatekeepers or acceptance committee, every artist deserves an opportunity (some T&C apply)
- Cutting edge AI designed to connect artists with their rightful audience, DAISY is already working and proven, check out these cool artists.
- All artists are treated equally, DAISY doesn’t discriminate between a young Dutch artist and an old one…
- A hugely creative, enthusiastic, and open-minded global player community to interact with
- Not a ‘dealer’, OWW doesn’t charge commissions on sales. In fact, OWW is designed to drive traffic to social media and/or other sites. Many artists are contacted by fans (who discover them in OWW) over social media and in several cases, people bought artworks in the ‘real world’
- The artist keeps all the rights to their work
- Genuinely connect with new fans, as an artist, you can message players who bought your work (to announce an exhibition or a crowdfunding campaign for example) they’ll also be notified when you upload new artworks. (coming soon)
- A gaming PC or playing the game is not required (but it is fun). Art uploads and KULTURA are accessible through the web
- Design your dream gallery featuring your works (along with the occasional old master, if you so wish) at a grand scale and fantastical setting with gorgeous realistic graphics
How artists are discovered
Art in OWW is discovered through DAISY, a proprietary art discovery AI that learns each player’s individual taste in art and shows art they’d like even if they don’t know what they’ll like. Now in its 3rd generation, we are very proud of how far our AI has come and our future plans to improve DAISY.
How art works in OWW
When a player finds an artwork they like they can ‘buy’ it with in-game currency (called cubes). It is not ‘real money’ but is valuable in the game and when a player buys an artwork it means they really like it, because they chose it over another one.
Players have a wishlist they use to keep track of art they liked but couldn’t afford at the time they saw it. Each artwork page shows all of those stats in KULTURA.
Who are Patrons? (A future feature)
Is the art promotion AI (DAISY) really agnostic and treats all art as equal?
Yes! We designed it especially with this in mind. Due to the nature of probabilities (which underpin the black magic of AI) there may be a very slight ‘advantage’ to artworks and artists who join the platform earlier than others who join later. However, we designed DAISY to handle millions of artworks so in the long term this slight ‘advantage’ is negligible.
Why do we charge $9 per upload?
DAISY, the AI that makes the magic happen (finds you followers, connects players to artworks they’d love, etc). Is very expensive to run and eats GPUs for breakfast, not to mention the server costs. We need to keep the lights on and a steady supply of coffee. The alternative is to bring advertising into OWW which is a big no-no.
What art can I upload?
Memes from the internet - Memes you make with your own work are ok
Fan art - see ‘Why can’t I upload fan art/memes/etc this is censorship!’
Porn - nudity is ok if it is created with artistic intent (the game is rated 18+)
Other people's artwork or artwork that was commissioned and copyright transferred
Screenshots from games - Elements in games are often copyrighted and so screenshots can cross those copyright lines
Why can’t I upload fan art/memes/etc this is censorship!
The main reason is copyright laws, if you create a beautiful painting of Luke Skywalker (for e.g.), the copyright is likely owned by Disney, so unless you can get written permission from them, we can’t have it in the game :(
Artwork Specification Requirements
Files should be between at least 1200px preferably 4k for the best quality
Max file size is 50MB
JPEG, JPG, and PNG formats only
Images that display your art only, ideally without external objects in the image (like fingers or selfies with your art)
No copyright notices, logos or URLS, on images - a normal ‘analogue’ signature is fine, also no need to add ‘frames’ to the image
In-game sizes can be flexible for digital works but it is recommended to stay under 200cm
What is Kultura?
KULTURA is our art portal where you can have a page with your bio and links to projects, sites, social profiles, or even crowdfunding campaigns. On your artist page, you can see real-time information about how many players interact with your works, placed them in a gallery, zoomed in for a closer look, and commented on them.
Do I keep my copyright?
Yes! The artist retains all copyright to their artworks. To upload art to OWW, there are three simple check boxes.
I'm not an artist, can I buy codes and gift them to an artist I like?
Yes! All codes bought can be shared and used by others.
Do upload codes expire?
No, codes do not expire if not used within a certain amount of time.